V.M. Diaz & Partners, LLC concentrates a significant part of our firm’s litigation practice on the resolution of corporate and commercial disputes. Our practice varies from the most complex commercial cases to simple contract disputes. The firm’s commercial clientele includes Fortune 500 companies, small and middle-sized companies, and high-wealth entrepreneurs. Our Senior Partner, Victor M. Diaz, Jr., has been recognized by numerous national and regional publications as one of the state’s premier elite commercial litigation trial lawyers.
Our commercial practice includes:
- Contract Disputes
- Partnership Dissolution and Dispute Resolution
- Securities Litigation
- Business Torts
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Director and Officer Liability
VM Diaz & Partners, LLC handles commercial cases under both hourly and contingency arrangements. We employ experienced paralegals and support staff to assist the lawyers in order to ensure cost efficient handling of these cases. In addition, the firm has developed and implemented an advanced, computerized litigation support system to deal with the voluminous documents usually associated with complex commercial litigation.
Class Action Litigation
V.M. Diaz & Partners, LLC has an active class action and multi-district litigation practice. Members of the firm have been court-appointed lead or liaison counsel in numerous major class actions, including securities fraud litigation, investor/consumer fraud cases, and products liability. In addition, members of our firm have chaired and served on the steering committee of national multi-district litigation proceedings in federal courts involving products defects, major consumer class actions and other mass torts.
Our firm’s experience includes serving as:
- 2000 – Co-Lead Counsel – In Re: Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc, ATX, ATX II and Wilderness Tires Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1373 – which arose out of the largest tire recall in US history, involving defective Firestone ATX tires, which caused the roll-over of thousands of Ford Explorer vehicles throughout the United States and internationally.
- 2004 – Co-Lead Class Counsel – Scheck Investments, et al vs. Viatical Benefactors, et al, Case No. 04-21160-CIV-Moreno – a one-billion-dollar securities class action involving 34,000 world-wide investors arising from a Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Mutual Benefits Corporation and its executives.
- 2005 – Lead Class Counsel – Marcella Cordova, et al v. Pension Fund of America, L.C., Case No. 05- 21169-CIV-Moore – representing over 5,000 Latin American investors, in a securities fraud action, who lost their life savings through a fraudulent Ponzi scheme Pension Fund of America.
- 2009 – Co-Lead Plaintiff Counsel – Arizmendi v. BB&T, as successor by merger to BankAtlantic, Case No. 09-059341 – Judge Jack Tuter – a consumer class action against BankAtlantic in a claim challenging the wrongful assessment and collection of excessive overdraft fees by one of Florida’s largest state-chartered banking institutions.
- 2009-2011 – Plaintiffs Executive Committee – In Re: Checking Account Overdraft Litigation, MDL No. 2036, CIV- King – representing multiple classes comprising millions of bank customers who were wrongly charged overdraft fees by multiple national banking institutions.
- 2009 – Present – Plaintiffs Steering Committee – In re Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2047 – representing hundreds of homeowners victimized by defective Chinese manufactured drywall, which caused significant property damage and personal injuries. To date, the Plaintiffs Steering Committee has procured class action settlements covering all national victims of defective Chinese manufactured drywall valued at more than $1 billion dollars.
- 2009-2015 – Co-Lead Counsel – In re Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation – Miami Dade County and Broward County – coordinating plaintiffs’ efforts in all the Chinese Drywall Florida state court cases pending in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties – ensuring coordination of the state court proceedings with the federal MDL proceedings.
- 2020 – Co-Lead Class Counsel – Bugliaro v. BJ’s Wholesale Club, Case No. 215- 006256-CA-01 – Judge William Thomas – a consumer class action challenging BJ’s in-store taxation policies on goods purchased with dealer discount coupons.
In addition, members of our firm have served on the Plaintiff’s Executive Committee of several other prominent product liability multi-district proceedings and have handled hundreds of individual products liability lawsuits.
General Tort Litigation
VM Diaz & Partners, LLC’s experience runs the gamut of tort and liability cases, from personal injury and wrongful death arising out of automobile and workplace accidents, to cases relating to premises liability, medical malpractice, products liability, or business-related torts. For over 35 years, we have successfully prepared, negotiated, settled, or tried literally thousands of general negligence and product liability cases. An abbreviated listing of the types of cases our firm has handled would include:
- General Negligence (from premises liability to boating accidents)
- Auto and Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Third Party Negligence causing personal injury or wrongful death
- Premise Liability (Negligent Security)
- Products Liability
- Medical and Professional Malpractice
- Business torts
V.M. Diaz & Partners, LLC only represents plaintiffs/claimants and has never served as counsel to any trial defendants in any form of tort case. Our sole focus is in procuring fair compensation for our clients and deterring the negligent behavior of third parties.
Corporate Counseling and Litigation Avoidance
A significant aspect of the firm’s practice is in assisting clients in avoiding costly litigation and implementing strategies to prevent and defend against potential claims. This practice involves not only corporate counseling, but also dispute resolution through alternative means – including negotiation, mediation, arbitration and private settlements.
VM Diaz & Partners, LLC assists clients by identifying and developing corporate policies and procedures that help minimize legal exposure and avoid unnecessary claims. Business disputes generally can be resolved pre-suit by identifying practical business solutions, work outs, and other sensible alternatives to costly litigation. Whenever possible, and engaged early enough, our firm delivers solutions to client problems through proactive corporate counseling and creative dispute resolution.
VM Diaz & Partners, LLC believes that litigation should be a last alternative to dispute resolution.